SN: tie-in book "Nevermore"

« Older   Newer »
Valkyrie
icon11  view post Posted on 18/3/2008, 23:23

Qualcuno ha letto il primo tie-in book di Supernatural? Si intitola "Nevermore" ed è stato scritto da Keith R.A. DeCandido.
Mi farebbe piacere sapere cosa ne pensa chi l'ha letto.
Io l'ho finito ieri e l'ho trovato piuttosto buono, anche se ha qualche difettuccio ai miei occhi.
Ah, ho postato il topic in questa sezione perché la storia del libro ha luogo fra gli episodi Crossroad Blues e Croatoan

La trama è questa:
Sam and Dean have hit New York City to check out a local rocker's haunted house. But before they can figure out why a lovesick banshee in an '80s heavy-metal T-sjirt is wailing in the bedroom, a far more macabre crime catches their attention. Not far frome the house, two univeristy students were baten to death by a strange assailant. A murder that's bizarre even by New York City stardanrds, it's the latest in a line of killings that the brothers soon suspect are based on the creepy stories of legendary writer Edgar Allan Poe.
Their investigation leads them to the center of one of Poe's horror classics, face-to-face with their most terryfing foe yet. And if Sam and Dean don't rewrite the ending of this chilling tale, a grisly serial killer will end their lives forevermore.

Trovo che l'autore abbia saputo rendere bene la relazione tra i due fratelli e ha carpito anche l'umorismo che i due sprigionano in certe conversazioni, sotto questo aspetto ha fatto davvero un buon lavoro.
Critico invece il fatto che abbia calcato un po' la mano sul dislivello culturale fra Dean e Sam, facendo risultare Dean in certe scene piuttosto ignorante :( .
L'idea degli omicidi legati alle opere di Poe avrebbe potuto essere sviluppata meglio e in maniera più raffinata, però si può chiudere un occhio.
In conclusione non manca l'azione, le discussioni e i confronti tra i due fratelli e tanti momenti di genuino spasso, soprattutto quando Dean dà fuori di testa per il traffico di New York, o perché è costretto ad ascoltare una cover-band davvero pessima. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Da antologia la scena che ha luogo allo zoo, dove Dean si trova un po' in imbarazzo e fatica a mantenere la sua identità fittizia :lol: (Non svelo nulla, perché voglio lasciare intatto questo piacere a chi leggerà il libro).

Qualche momento divertente dal libro:

SPOILER (click to view)
Ignoring him, Dean went on: "But I'm telling you, there is no substitute, none, for the beautiful sound of a needle vinyl".
Just then the record started to skip, Doug Ingle singing "always be" over and over again.
Sam's grin practicall split his face in half. Dean scowled at him, then walked over the turntable and nudged the needle, and it skipped ahead to a guitar chord.
"Let me guess," Sam said, "next you're gonna extol the virtues of leeches as a method of healing the sick? Or, I know! Why horse-drawn chariots are better than cars!"
"Bite me, Sammich."

Over the course of his life, Sam Winchester had had many occasions to ponder on the exact nature of hell. [...] Or was it the old joke about how hell is other people? Jean-Paul Sartre had embodied that in his play "Huis Clos", in which hell was three people stuck in a room together.
Right here and now in the Shamrock Bar & Grill in Yonkers late Friday night Sam was coming around to Sartre's way of thinking, that hell was being stuck between Janina Molina and Dean. [...] To add insult to injury, Aldo had sat on the other side of Dean and immediately started in on the Impala [...] That started the ball rolling on an in-depth conversation on the subject of motors, transmissions, various and saundry fluids, and other minutiae about cars tha Sam had right near the top of his list of Conversation that Bored the Holy Crap Out of Him, just before Dean's Favorite Music and just after Dean's Sex Life.
This wouldn't have been so bad, except that Janine, having been stymied in her attempts to sit next to Dean, insted decided to sit next to him. [...] She proceeded to talk to him - about Dean.

Povero Sammy! :piango:

Dean wasn't used to being the first up - he was even less used to it when he got up at noon. [...] and a peek into the other guest room showed that Sam was not only out like a light, but drooling on the pillow. Pausing to get a picture of that with his cell phone, he then took a shower, went downstairs...
[...] By the time Sam stumbled downstairs wearing only a pair of pants, Dean put on his bad mad-scientist voice. "It's alive, I tell you, alive!"
"Yeah, yeah" Sam muttered, heading straight into the the kitchen.

Sam riconsidera le reali motivazioni di John sotto una nuova luce:
SPOILER (click to view)
"You know, I've been thinking about Dad - that's why I slept so late, to be honest, I was tossin' and turnin' with this half the night after we got back".
Crap, crap, crap, Dean thought as he entered the kitchen. The absolute last thing he wanted right now was to gen into a talk with Sam about Dad. He was't ready to go there with Sammy, not yet. [...]
"That was something Dad could've have taught us, but he didn't. He didn't tell us about other hunters, he didn't tell us about the roadhouse, he didn't tell us about vampires until we actually met some, he didn't tell us about goofer dust. Sure, he taught us the basics, and he taught us how to fight and defend ourselves, but that was it. Hell, most of the lore I know, I learned on my own. And for all that we fought about it - I think Dad was glad I was at Stamford."[...]
Anger flared within Dean, but it burned to ashes almost instantly. 'After the crap Dad pulled on his freakin' deadbed, I'm not about to defend the sonofabitch'.
Besides, it was over and done with it. Getting into an argument with Sam about dad right now would just about to kill him, Dean thought.
[...]"... I couldn't believe it, but now I'm starting to understand."
Having pretty much lost all the track of sam's point - if he even had one - Dean threw up his hands. "Understand what?"
"Even while he was training us, he was protecting us. He yelled at me for going to Stanford, but he was proud of me - and helped me go in the first place. For everything he taught us, there's about fifty things we've had to figure out on our own or got caught out off-guard by. Hell, Dean, the whole reason he up and disappeared a year ago was beacause he was trying to protect us from the demon, and he only let us come with him after we dropped a brick wall on his head."
[...] Finally, Dean turned around and stared up at his brother, the man he'd come to find when Dad had disappeared, the man he'd been told to protect at all costs, and kill if he couldn't protect him.
In a very soft voice, Dean said, "You know what I think? I think Dad's need to fight evil was constantly fighting with his need to keep you and me safe. And I think he couldn't win that fight, and I think that fight killed him."

Dean, nel bagno di un pub, racconta una divertente storiella su John e i Marines:
SPOILER (click to view)
Dean made for the exit, thinking, Yahtzee.
Someone else - the bass player, Dean realized, whose name he suddenly couldn't remeber - said, "What, you don't wash your hands?"
"My dad was a Marine", Dean said. The bass player blank expression indicated that he didn't get the connection [...] So Dean explained: "Dad has this story. A Marine and a Navy guy walk into a bathroom together. They both take a piss, and then the sailor goes to the sink. The Marine heads for the door, and the sailor says, 'Hey - in the Navy they teach us to wash up after we take a leak'. And the Marine turns around and says, 'Yeah? Well, in the Marines they teach us not to piss on our hands.'" :hihi:

Edited by Valkyrie - 19/3/2008, 01:17

0 replies since 18/3/2008, 23:23   164 views